Casabermeja

Possessor of a privileged natural environment, in which the Sierra of “El Torcal” and of “La de Cabras” stand out, Casabermeja is situated a few kilometres from Málaga, on the Pedrizas Road.

Megalithic graves have been found in Chapera and in “El Cortijo del Hospital” and cave paintings in “El Cerro Mogea”. Apart from the prehistoric presence, the Romans, whose remains can be found in the fountains of “Las Parras” and of “La Cotonilla”, and the Arabs, of whom remains of Mozarabic settlements exist in Chapera Alta, Colmenar and Jotrón, all passed through the area. To be precise, its name derives from the Arabic term Q´sar Bermeja, which means “Red Castle”. The “Reyes Católicos” were the ones who ordered the founding of the town and it is not until 1630 when permission is given to the town folk to buy the town.

Of its monuments, one needs to highlight the church of “Nuestra Señora del Socorro”, hailing from the Sixteenth Century; the cementery of “San Sebastián”, declared Historical- Artistic Monument in 1980; “La Torre Zambra”, Arabic building from the Thirteenth Century; and the pictorial collection “Peñas de Cabrera” of exceptional archaeological value for its cave paintings.

Its most noteworthy feast is celebrated on the 20th of January, in honour of its Patron Saint, San Sebastián. Other dates of interest on the 25th of April; the August Fair; the flamenco singing festival, on the second- last week, at the end of September.

As far as its gastronomy is concerned, it is possible to distinguish between the winter dishes, of which “las migas” stand out exceedingly, and the summer ones, like “el gazpacho” and “la olla de era”. Dishes to savour all year round are rabbit basted in garlic or “el plato de los Montes”. Lastly, from its confectionery, “los borrachuelos”, “el pan de bizcocho”, “los roscos de vino” and “las tortas de aceite” are very popular.