At a distance of just over 30 kilometres from Málaga, Pizarra has experienced, in the last twenty years, a great increase in its population, which at present stands at the seven thousand mark, and is distributed between the principal urban centre and various districts: Zalea, Cerralba and La Barriada Hipólito.
Despite the discoveries from prehistoric times that have been made in the town´s vicinity, its origin as a town dates from the Fifteenth century, when Los Reyes Católicos offer one hundred Fanegas of land to Diego Romero. However, already in Roman times there existed settlements in the Arroyo de la Alameda, apart from the village of Castillejo de Quintana from Arabic times. But it is not until 1847 when it obtains´ La Real Cédula which makes it into a town in its own right.
The most outstanding monuments and places are the Church of San Pedro Apostle, from the Seventeenth century; the Palace of El Conde de Puerto Hermoso; the Shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Fuensanta and the Municipal Museum.
The two main festivities are celebrated in august: the fair, in honour of La Virgen de la Fuensanta and the traditional procession in her honour on the 15th.
The cuisine of Pizarra is very varied. Amongst its typical dishes are La sopa aplastá, el maillo de esparragos and el gazpacho. Worthy of note in its confectionery are the small pies, the doughnuts of Ceralba and the dried figs pastry.
Prices in the town have risen in recent months, reflecting the interest in the area from both foreign buyers and commuter from Malaga. Townhouse and villa construction is currently taking place to the east of the town centre.