A town of 2.700 inhabitants belongs to the district of Axarquía. Its town centre is divided into two clearly differentiated districts: the high district or “Cerrillo” and the lower district, also known as “La Plaza”. Within its wide streets it is still possible to make out Eighteenth Century ancestral homes which still have their interior courtyards including a well and stables.
It is very possible that the heavy and hard nature of the water of the “Rio de la Cueva” is the origin of the town’s name. The remains of the first Neolithic settlements have been found in its banks, although their definite location dates from the time of Los Reyes Catolicos, its origins being in an encampment used by the Christian Monarchs during the conquest of Velez.
As most noteworthy buildings within the town, are the Parish of “Nuestra Sra. De Gracia”, dating from 1490, and the Shrine of San Sebastián, which hails from the end of the Seventeenth Century.
The procession of “El Paso de Riogordo” is depicted during Holy Week. Other important celebrations are the castle fair, between the 27th and the 29th of May, the fair of mid- August and the feast of “El Candil”, on the 7th of September.
In order to appreciate the gastronomy most typical of Riogordo, one will have to visit between May and August and sample the snail stew. Other succulent dishes to taste are the chickpea stew, “la porra”, “las setas de espino”, “migas” and the cold vegetable soup with young broad beans.