To the north of the Málaga Province and at the shore of the renowned lagoon of “Fuente de Piedra”, lies this cosy town. Its access, through the A-92, is easy and, once there, the visitor will have no problems in finding some comfortable lodgings in its numerous and cosy hotels and rural farmhouses.
As far as its origins are concerned, we need to go back to the fifth century, even though the first written references date black to the time of the Roman occupation. The town disappears in 1461, after the years of Muslim occupation, only to be reconstructed in 1547. From the onwards, starts its period of greatest splendour, very much related and in conjunction with the history of its famous fountain with healing properties; as a legend has it, everyone who drank from the fountain would be cured from the ailment, “mal de la piedra”. Its water became so famous that they exported it to the Kingdom of Naples and, even, to América. After numerous mishaps culminating with the burial of the same in 1959, they preceded in the nineties to re- install the fountain in the central square, “Plaza de la Constitución”, where it is situated at present.
Apart from its famous fountain, places which are a must to the visitor are the parish church of “La Virgen de las Virtudes” and the lagoon of “Fuente Piedra”, a real jewel for the lovers of ornithology and botany.
The economy of the town is based on the cultivation of cereals, vine and, above all, on the extensive olive groves, producers of an exquisite oil of soft smell and pleasant taste. Its popular festivities are celebrated from the 22nd to 25th July. Furthermore, the fair of the town’s patron “Nuestra Señora de las Virtudes” on 8th September, the “Romería” of the second Sunday in May and “La Candelaria” on the night of 1st to 2nd February, guarantees fun and entertainment leave without tasting “la porra majá”, the cold vegetable soup, “las migas”, the broad bean stew, and the delightful, home- made doughnuts and “pestiños”.