This small town with a population of some 300 inhabitants, belonging to the administrative district of Ronda, is built on “La Colina de Don Fabrique”. Its has the classic appearance of the towns in the area and it attracted the attention of the American writer, E. Hemingway, who defined it as “A white swan on a lake of hope”.
Its name comes from the Arabic language and it means “pleasant place”, a very suitable appellative, especially of late, thanks to the notable increase of its offers for the enthusiasts of rural tourism.
The first information about the town dates from the time of the Arabs. In the Sixteenth Century, with the expulsion of the Moors, the territory becomes un- populated until the arrival of Christian colonists from other lands. In 1814, King Fernando VII grants it “Carta de Real Privilegio de Villa” as “award for the perseverance, loyalty, and sacrifices suffered during the War of Independence waged against the French”.
The most important monument in Farajan is the Church of “Ntra. Sra. Del Rosario”, founded in 1505 and reformed in the Eighteenth Century. The procession of “Nuestro Padre Jesús de Medinaceli” on Good Friday is the town´s most important, popular tradition. Other festive dates are the festivity in honour of San Sebastián, between the 4th and 6th of August, and the Feasts of December in honour of “La Inmaculada Concepción”, the town´s Patron Saint.
Recommended dishes for lovers of good cuisine are the artichoke soup, the cold vegetable soup, “las migas” and rabbit cooked in garlic, apart from the products derived from pork.