Is set deep in one of the most beautiful settings in the whole of the Málaga province, made up by “El Valle del Guadiaro” and the Natural Park of “La Sierra de Grazalema”. Its municipal district is divided into two urban centres: the town, in the highest part, surrounded by holm- oak trees and olive groves; and, at two kilometres ,the district of “La Estación”, a delightful place at the shore of “El Guadiaro”.
Its name is derived from the Arabic term, Inz Almaraz or Ximena, which means “Castle of the Woman”. In “La Finca del Tesoro”, at four kilometres from the town centre, remains of a funeral dowry have been found. The Romans also left traces of their passing and, even today, it is still possible to find remains of the road that linked “El Campo de Gibraltar” with the city of “Acinipo”. In 1485, it falls into Christian hands and its municipal district is incorporated into Ronda. Its most interesting monuments are the Church of El Rosario and the Shrine of El Calvario. In the district of La Estación, the Shrine of La Virgen de la Salud, the town´s Patron Saint, is found. In her honour, “La Feria de Agosto” is celebrated and the image of the Virgin is taken from the chapel in La Estación up to the town. Its cuisine has a marked, traditional flavour and the strong, filling dishes are in abundance: “cocidos”, “migas”, “sopas de vinagre”. The most delicious desserts are “los roscos de vino” and “al miel de romero sobre hojuelas”.