With a population of 4.000 the town of Cuevas de San Marcos is an enclave north of the administrative region of Antequera, on the border with the Province of Córdoba.
The importance of this population centre in Andalucía during the Roman occupation is vouched for by the amphoras and coins from the Late Roman Empire found in the area. In spite of the existence of archaeological remains from earlier times, found in the “Cueva de Belda”: flit axes, spear tips and other implements of stone, apart from human remains and a menhir, named the “Boy of Stone”, in a place known as “Las Cruces”.
Traces from the Arabic occupation have persisted in the fortification erected on the “Cerro de Chamorro” after the popular uprising against the Emirate of Córdoba. As from 1424, date in which the arabs were finally expelled, the new settlers converted the lands into pasture for cattle and come together around houses which will give origins to the present population centre.
Apart from the archaeological remains already mentioned, the visitor will be able to enjoy a visit to the church of “San Marcos” (17th century), the shrine “Del Carmen” (18th century) and the Local Archaeological Museum.
The festive calendar has its most important milestone during the celebration of the main festivities in August. Moreover, Saint Marcos has its feast days as Patron Saint on 25th April and the 7th December, sees the celebration of the night of “Las Candelas”.
To eat, nothing better than the carnival stuffing, stuffing composed of meat, ham, egg, bread and parsley and the original Easter pie, made of bread with an egg in its centre. It is also interesting to sample the classic “porra”, “salmorejo” and those products derived from the pie slaughtering season.