With a population of about two thousand inhabitants, Villanueva de Tapia finds itself situated on the eastern side of the administrative district of Antequera, at the boundary between the provinces of Granada and Córdoba.
The town gets the nickname of “entredicho”, due to the strong dispute played out between Archidona and the Cordovan town of Iznájar, both claiming that the lands of Villanueva should be included in their respective domains. The problem was resolved at the beginning of the Seventeenth Century by a Royal Decree passed by the advisors of the “Real Hacienda”, which established that the lands would become part of the Royal Heritage; this occurred on the 20th of June 1602. When King Felipe III decided that these lands were not very profitable, he sold them off to Pedro de Tapia, a member of the Supreme Council of Castilla, which implied the definite impulse in the development of the town centre with its actual name.
It is very pleasant to go for a walk along its streets in which we can find eighteenth century facades and neat buildings like the old inn of “Santa Bárbara”. The parish church, with its exterior finished in stone bricks, projects itself above the roofs of the town’s houses.
Two of the festive dates with the most acceptance are celebrated in the summertime: The fair, which takes place between the 12th and the 14th of June, and “El Día del Emigrante” (The Day of the Emigrant), on the second weekend of August. But the big festivity of Villanueva takes place in October, coinciding with the 12ht, Saints Day of “La Virgen del Pilar”.
In its´ gastronomy, we find a curious variation of “el gazpacho” and, obviously, the products derived from the traditional pig slaughtering season. During Holy Week, in addition to the home- made “magdalenas” and “bollos de aceite”, the traditional “piñonate” are also made.