Benamargosa

Is situated in the valley which forms the river of the same name. At a distance of about 11 kilometres from Vélez- Málaga, its population is at present of about 1.600 inhabitants. Its town centre still maintains the charm of narrow and quiet streets, sprinkled with whitewashed facades and ull of colourful flowerpots of geranium and carnations.

Its economy is based on a wide variety of crop- farming, from the raising grapes, the almonds and olive trees in the most mountainous area to the citric and tropical fruits in the southern area, more fertile and richer in water. At the present time, the town is a pioneer in tropical fruit crop- growing in the administrative district of La Axarquía.

Although there is no reliable information concerning the origin form the etymology of the name Ber- Ha- Maruxa. In more recent times, it has been called “the little Gibraltar” because, during the Spanish Civil War, it became an important tobacco- smuggling centre.

The Church of Ntra. Sra. De la Encarnación, dating from the end of the Sixteenth Century, and “La Ermita del Cementerio”, built in 1839, are two obligated visit for the lover of history.

San Sebastián, Patron Saint of the town, celebrates its feast day on the 20th of January. During summer, apart from the cultural week, the festivity of Corpus Day enjoys great tradition.

The gastronomy of Benamargosa alternates its more traditional dishes: the cold garlic and almond soup, tomato soup, “el gazpachuelo” and the home- made bread cakes, with others more recent in which the avocado pear and the rest of the tropical products enjoy a predominant place.