Canillas de Albaida

At a distance of a little more than sixty kilometres from the Málaga capital and with a population of 800 inhabitants, lies this beautiful town of the administrative district of La Axarquía, set deep in the Natural Park of Sierra Tejeda- Almijara. Its municipal district has its highest peak at an altitude of 2.000 metres and its esteemed surrounding makes of the place a paradise for the lovers of open- air routes, be it by foot, on horse-back or on mountain- bikes.

Its name comes from the Arabic expression Cann Albaida, which means “white reed”, and in its history, we can go back, as the most outstanding milestone, to the rebellion staged in 1569 by its inhabitants, in their majority Muslim, against the oppression of King Felipe II, rebellion that was crushed at the Battle of “El Peñón de Frigiliana”.

At the highest part of the town, lies the Shrine of Santa Ana, declared Historical Andalucian Monument. Furthermore, it is interesting to visit the Shrine of San Antón and the central Church of Ntra. Sra. De la Expectación.

Its most representative festivities are those dedicated to “San Antón” and to “La Virgen del Rosario”, Patron Saints of the town and celebrated in January and October, respectively, “El Día de las Salves” in February and, in midsummer, the flamenco singing festival, “Sierra Axarquía”, and the fair in honour of its patron.

Its typical gastronomic products are “la pasa moscatel”, from vineyards treated by natural means, black pudding with onions, hard pork sausages, fired calabash and “el choto aliñado”.